Expand your knowledge and create opportunities. Move your career forward, in a different direction or simply learn a new still for your personal enjoyment. Do it all with flexibility and support from our expert faculty and staff.
Our Continuing Education and Professional Development courses are designed to help you pursue workforce development, personal enrichment and lifelong learning across a wide range of subjects.
Listed below are course descriptions and information about available continuing education and professional development courses.
Continuing Education and Professional Development courses listed below are non-credit and do not qualify for Federal Financial Aid Grants and Loans. A Certificate of Completion will be awarded upon completion.
During the Phlebotomy course students will be taught:
- HIPPA,CLIA 88,NCCLS and CAP guidelines
- Sterile procedures as well as procedures for sharps/biohazard disposal
- Skills in sterile procedures and proper use of lab coats, gloves and masks
- Proper techniques for collections of problematic accounts
- Proper techniques for blood draw as well as names of commonly used tubes
- Basic medical terminology, medical law and healthcare communication
- Good interpersonal and customer services skills that consist of oral and written communication
Understanding the use of professional skills in healthcare
The Phlebotomy course is 8 weeks.
The Phlebotomy course is a residential training course and no portion is offered by distance learning.
The Phlebotomy course trains students to draw blood so they can work in hospitals, clinics, emergency and extended care facilities, private medical offices or laboratories. Topics include, vein-puncture procedures, specimen collection, blood collection, quality assurance, body systems, infection control and skin puncture techniques.
For the Phlebotomy course:
- Scrubs – Burgundy
- Must change into clean [Closed toe shoes] before entering the lab
The following must be on file before the student can start the phlebotomy course:
- Health History Form signed by Doctor
- HEPATITIS B: Series of three required for students enrolled in health programs if screening test is submitted, test results must be included.
- VARICELLA TITER OR TWO DOSES OF THE VACCINE: Two doses of the varicella vaccine may be administered in place of the varicella titer. Titer test results must be included. If not immune, two doses of varicella vaccine are required. Documented history of the disease is no longer acceptable.
PURIFIED PROTEIN DERIVATIVE: Required for students enrolled in health programs. Test must be done yearly. If test shows positive results, documentation of a chest x-ray within the last five years will be required.
All Continuing Education and Professional Development courses listed above are non-credit. A Certificate of Completion will be awarded upon completion.
All Continuing Education and Professional Development courses listed above do not qualify for Federal Financial Aid Grants and Loans.